Out of Africa, Then Back Again

AlumniComments (0)

Katherine Hudak

In the three years since Katherine Hudak (MBA ’13) earned her MBA from Carey, she has worked in different parts of Africa as a researcher and consultant.

She started working abroad as a fellow at the Tony Elumelu Foundation in Lagos, Nigeria, in 2014. She then moved on to Kaiser Economic Development Partners in Cape Town but worked on projects across sub-Saharan Africa. In the summer of 2015, she took a post at the African Development Bank in Côte d’Ivoire.

Six months later, she joined the Boston Consulting Group in Johannesburg, where she is today. She works on strategic projects in financial services, private equity, and telecommunications, as well as in the public sector.

Hudak credits Carey’s Innovation for Humanity course (I4H) – a three-week, real-world consulting experience in a developing country – as the impetus for her career abroad.

“I4H is the reason I am in Africa. I was so moved and inspired by my experience in Rwanda,” she says. “The program really helped me realize what I wanted to do and gave me an opportunity and ability to work both in the private sector and in the development world.”

Hudak says having that I4H experience was vital when she was starting out in Africa.

“It wasn’t an easy route to be here. Starting my post-MBA career on a new continent and working on a project-by-project basis was daunting in the beginning and so different than the typical post-graduate career route,” she says. “But I was convinced by my I4H experience that this was my place, and that I was going to find my way. And I did.”

—Luke Lavoie

Pin It